Company performance is really human performance. This is why it is our first priority to make sure our employees are safe, healthy and engaged. We know that when we excel in this critical priority, we will attract, nurture and retain great people—the biggest factor in achieving sustainable success as a company.
- Improved safety performance with a total case incident rate of 2.14 for 2011 vs. 2.65 in 2010
- Continued Safety Task Force programs to increase safety awareness and improvement initiatives
- Increased concentration on employee health and wellness initiatives and programs
- Developed new talent management and succession planning process
- Continued focus on Lean Six Sigma; total hard savings since deployment of more than $280 million
- Ratified new master agreement with all NewPage unions, subject to review and approval of bankruptcy court, to be effective upon bankruptcy emergence
Safety is a vital aspect of our operating philosophy. From production to quality assurance, cost control and environmental compliance, we focus on safety in everything we do. We are committed to giving our employees the skills, tools and information they need to return home safely to their families every day.
NewPage 2011 Safety Performance - Total Case Incident Rate
OSHA Total Case Incident Rate 2011 - Total Industry
NewPage offers employees a robust health care program, as well as resources and tools to improve general health and well-being. Wellness activities are designed to reduce the incidence of the most prevalent disorders and diseases experienced by NewPage plan participants. Some of our company’s wellness activities include:
- Weight loss and exercise programs
- Flu shots
- Biometric screenings
- Smoking cessation programs
- Health fairs
- Wellness education and communication
Engaging Employees through Lean Six Sigma
As a continuous improvement strategy, NewPage integrates Lean Six Sigma methods, tools and processes in an effort to significantly improve safety, productivity, performance and customer service.
Employees are engaged at all levels and can experience not only the personal satisfaction of achievement, but are also recognized for their success. We believe that LSS has the potential to move NewPage to a new level of operational excellence and customer service.