In a consumer-driven business like printing, sustainability must be carefully balanced with your company’s financial health. To ensure long-term viability and partnerships with customers, printers can:
- Become a “Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified Printer” and let your customers know. This is a clear representation of your company’s commitment to sustainability.
- Launch a sustainability education campaign for your customers.
- Evaluate your entire supply chain and identify sustainability problems and solutions.
- Write a Paper Procurement Policy and a Sustainable Development Report to become transparent to your customers and stakeholders.
- Decrease the proximity between your mill and printing facility.
Considerations & Guidelines
- Get your customers on board. Unlike past recycling fads, green is here to stay. Customers must be committed for real change to occur.
- Create value in sustainability. Reach out to customers who are concerned about product integrity.
- Think beyond paper. Reduce operating costs and their environmental impact in all aspects of your operations, including:
- Upgrading to more energy-efficient equipment
- Using soy or vegetable-based inks
- Partner with NewPage, a transparent supplier who offers sustainability expertise.
- Get enterprise certification from the Sustainable Green Printing Partnership.